The following signs are exempt from the permit requirements of this Chapter, provided that they conform to the standards outlined below and contained in sections 9406 through 9411. Although the following signs do not require a sign permit, they may require a building and/or electrical permit.
For more information click here
- Non-illuminated on-premises real estate signs or open house signs subject to the following criteria:
- In residential zones, not more than one (1) sign per street frontage, with a maximum height of four (4) feet and maximum size of six (6) square feet. Ornamental signs may be a maximum of seven (7) feet high to top of structure, with a maximum of six (6) square feet for sign face.
- In professional districts, not more than one (1) sign per street frontage, with a maximum of sixteen (16) square feet in size and six (6) feet in height.
- In commercial districts when a property has a street frontage of less than two hundred (200) lineal feet, not more than one (1) sign per street frontage, with a maximum size of sixteen (16) square feet and maximum six (6) feet in height. For properties with two hundred (200) lineal feet or more of street frontage, not more than one (1) sign per street frontage, with a maximum of twenty-four (24) square feet in size and eight (8) feet in height.
- In industrial districts, not more than one (1) sign per street frontage, with a maximum of thirty-two (32) square feet in size and ten (10) feet in height.
- For vacant properties in any district with a minimum of five (5) acres in size, not more than one (1) sign per street frontage with a maximum of twenty (20) square feet in size and eight (8) feet in height.
- All such signs shall be installed on private property and only on the premises which the sign advertises.
- All such signs may contain a maximum of three (3) riders in excess of the above sign area limitation. The combined size of all riders including any spaces between riders shall not exceed twenty-four (24) inches in total sign height or vertical dimension and must be attached under the permanent sign face.
- Temporary directional/information sign may be located in any district, subject to the following criteria:
- The signs shall not exceed three (3) square feet in size and four (4) feet in height.
- Signs may be located in the public parkway area, subject to the visual clearance area requirements. A minimum of one-fourth ( 1/4) of a mile of street frontage shall be provided on any one (1) street between garage sale signs or signs identifying or describing a lost and/or found person, item, or pet.
- Signs are not permitted to be attached to any traffic control device, tree, street light or utility pole or placed so as to impede public sidewalks.
- Signs shall not be posted between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m.
- Signs shall only be posted between twenty-five (25) feet and three hundred (300) feet of a street intersection.
- The name, address, and phone number of the responsible party shall be provided on the back of the sign. This information shall occupy a space no larger than ten (10) square inches.
- The responsible party for signs erected in the public parkway area shall be liable to the City of Tustin, private property owners and the general public for any injury to persons or property resulting from the placement and maintenance of the sign.
- Open house signs in the public parkway area shall be subject to the following additional criteria:
- Signs shall only include a directional arrow, the address of the open house, and the text "open house." Address letters and numbers shall be between two (2) and four (4) inches in height.
- Along public streets, a maximum of one (1) sign shall be posted per open house per change of direction.
- The sign shall provide directions to a house that is available and open for inspection in Tustin and the Tustin Sphere of Influence only.
(Sign Regulations – Chapter 9404)